Saturday, June 13, 2015

Politics Are Not One Dimensional

Politics in this country are so over simplified that it makes me sick.  Either you are left wing or right wing.  It feels like more of a distraction than an actual explanation of political beliefs.  There are so many political ideologies that do not jive with the left/right spectrum and they are completely off the radar.  Libertarianism is one of the few that gets some time of day but it's rare enough that I guess Google Chrome doesn't consider it a word.


People (like myself) that consider themselves libertarian generally vote for one party or another because we have a winner-take-all voting system and we just don't like seeing our vote not count. That's just the nature of things.  The system we have promotes having only two parties in power and those two parties will not change the voting system because they know it may mean giving up power. The two party system is all we have ever known and people in this country see politics in a two sided (one dimensional) spectrum.  That's just not how political ideologies are categorized.

A quick google search will yield images like this:

This makes me want to vomit


I'm not really sure how a person can actually be willing to post something this ignorant. Maybe they take comfort in its over-simplicity. Thankfully there are also two dimensional charts that pop up from the same search. It gives me hope in humanity.



In actuality I don't 100% agree with any one of them but at least these people aren't one dimensional thinkers. If I'm feeling up to it, I'll make and post one of my own. Stay tuned folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment